"Life is easier than you think. All that is necessary is to accept the impossible, do without the indispensable, and bear the intolerable.”—Kathleen Norris

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Why am I here?

9/24/10:                                                         
Why am I here at BYU?  Because this is where Heavenly Father wants me.  Personally, I’d be content with a simple life: eating, sleeping, exercising, reading, spending time with my children and possibly taking a class.  If I’m required to go back to school, I think I’d like to start in the 6th grade.  There is so much that I could learn starting all over again.  And I would love to be learning just for learning’s sake.  But Heavenly Father has a different plan—one that stretches me.
Many years ago, the kids and I were in the process of moving from Bellingham Washington to Utah.  It was a long process as there was a situation holding us up.  I was told it might be resolved by spring, but no sooner.  Then the prompting came to get all my things packed and in the garage by January.   “Heavenly Father is going to make some miracles in my behalf so we can move in January,” I thought.  And I readily started the packing process.  As January drew near, the moving situation didn’t seem to be working as I had anticipated.  It really was going to be spring before things worked out.  Was I wrong in listening to a prompting?  I began to forget what I had originally felt and slowed down my packing.  On February 11, my house burned down and we lost everything that wasn’t packed and in the garage.  I learned an important lesson to not create endings to our promptings.  When we speculate as to the reasons and/or purposes of God’s plans and inspiration in our lives, we may take actions that change the direction of His plans.
 
So why am I here?  I’m not going to presume that I know exactly.  I only know that I’m where I am supposed to be right now in the moment.  I obviously have something to learn—a lot to learn.  And maybe there will be others who will have something to learn from me too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment